Those of you who know me, know that I am a gluten-free foodie, and I have been for years. I have watched hundreds of people change their health and their life around simply by eliminating this one type of food from their diet.
Recently, as I was walking down the gluten-free isle at the grocery store and reading label after label, It occurred to me that many people may not know how UNHEALTHY many of these gluten-free foods really are. In fact, many formulated gluten-free foods are loaded with artificial colorings, sweeteners, sugar, fillers, binders, and GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) ingredients!
Isn’t the point of switching to a gluten-free diet to switch to a healthier lifestyle and heal the digestive tract? Well, unfortunately with these types of foods, there will not be much healing going on, and some of your symptoms may even get worse!
Today, I want to point out to you exactly what to look for when reading a gluten-free label and give you some great suggestions that will help you out the next time you go to the supermarket.
INGREDIENTS TO LOOK OUT FOR
CORN, SOY, CANOLA, & DERIVATIVES OF THESE FOODS (corn flour, corn syrup, soy protien isolate, etc…)
- These ingredients are some of the top GMO crops in America. If you’re not familiar with GMO’s and the horrific effects on our bodies, start by checking out this study done in France that PROVED GMO foods cause tumors, cancer, and premature death- http://www.naturalnews.com/037249_gmo_study_cancer_tumors_organ_damage.html. You know that motto, “Everything in moderation”… Well, in my opinion that NEVER applies to genetically modified foods. Each bite we take of these “Frankenfoods” does damage to our body, and potentially serious damage. These foods have the ability to actually splice our DNA, causing our DNA sequencing to replicate broken strands, leading to even further damage. To learn what this does to unborn babies, read here- http://www.independent.co.uk/environment/gm-new-study-shows-unborn-babies-could-be-harmed-522109.html
- If a food product contains any of these ingredients, it MUST be labeled GMO-FREE, NON-GMO, or 100% ORGANIC. This ensures that even though the company may use one of these foods, it is a clean, non-GMO source.
SUGAR, ASPARTAME, HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, SUCRALOSE, SUCROSE, DEXTROSE
- All of the above are either sugar or an artificial sweetener. A small amount of REAL evaporated cane juice, or sugar in small amounts in my opinion is ok in small portions. But, read those labels, because many gluten-free foods are loaded with sugar. Make sure you read the serving size. It may say only 5 grams of sugar, but that’s per tablespoon, so when you eat 1 cup of the product, you’re getting a sugar overload. Artificial sweeteners are even worse as they can damage the pancreas, are proven neurotoxins (kill brain cells), and damage the gut. Here is more info on the link between sugar and cancer. http://www.mnwelldir.org/docs/nutrition/sugar.htm
- Make sure you choose a food that is has no sugar, is low in sugar or uses natural alternatives such as coconut sugar, stevia, erythritol, or non-GMO xylitol.
- MSG (Monosodium Glutamate)
- AUTOLYZED YEAST EXTRACT
- SODIUM NITRATE/ SODIUM NITRITE (In processed meats)
- SODIUM BENZOATE
- ARTIFICIAL COLORINGS
- For more info on these dangerous additives, read more here- http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2012/11/26/most-unhealthy-ingredients_n_2177450.html
So, next time you’re in the gluten-free isle shopping for your favorite foods, make sure to watch out for these ingredients to make the best choices for you and your family. Here are some brands committed to the NON-GMO project that may help you navigate your way through the store- http://www.nongmoproject.org/find-non-gmo/search-participating-products/.
To make things easier, eat simple whole foods such as organic veggies, cultured foods and drinks, low-glycemic fruits, clean animal protein, raw organic dairy, sprouted nuts and seeds, and grain-like seeds such as quinoa, millet, amaranth, & buckwheat!
Stay tuned tomorrow for more on gluten sensitivity & Celiac’s disease!
In Health, Hope, & Happiness,