Spirulina is one of my all-time favorite superfoods. The nutritional properties of this beautiful green powder is absolutely mind blowing! If you don’t know about Spirulina, you need to know about it! Just consuming 1 tbs of this superfood can drastically reduce your chances of harboring multiple diseases such as cancer, heart disease or stroke, or contracting a life-threatening virus such as HIV. That’s INSANE! (Insane in an amazingly good way..) WHY don’t more people know about spirulina? The important thing is that now YOU know and it’s your responsibility to share the good news! Here’s a breakdown on Spirulina…
What in the World is Spirulina???
Spirulina is similar to sea vegetables such as dulse, kelp, nori, Kombu, arame, and wakame. Spirulina along with chlorella (another AMAZING superfood) are members of the “blue-green” family. They actually aren’t sea algae, but are cyanobacteria. Cyanobacteria are the odd ones out in the bacteria world. They are the only bacteria to contain chlorophyll and use the sun as an energy source the way plants and algae do.
Why is Spirulina so Good for You?
Did you know that, ounce per ounce, spirulina contains twelve times the digestible protein of beef?
Were you aware that Spirulina can actually reverse cancer in the human body?
Those are AMAZING attributes! If I was a member of the plant world, I think I would want to be Spirulina…it has so much to offer! Not only does Spirulina offer an incredibly high amount of digestible protein, it’s protein is the BEST kind for us to consume, packing in a complete amino-acid profile, containing ALL essential amino acids needed for human health. Amino acids are the building blocks of proteins. We actually don’t utilize proteins in our bodies, we utilize the broken down version of proteins-amino acids.
More attributes of Spirulina…
|B vitamins (including exceptionally high B-12), vitamin K, and other vitamins||Naturally rich in iodine||Minerals (including calcium, iron, magnesium, selenium, manganese, potassium, and zinc)|
|One of best known sources of gamma-linolenic acid (GLA, an important fatty acid for heart and joints)||Other essential fatty acids, including sulfolipids, which may be protective against HIV infection of T-helper cells||Phytopigments (phycocyanin, chlorophyll, and carotenoids)|
|Metallo-thionine compounds (proteins combined with metals that bind heavy radioactive isotopes)||Low in carbohydrates (15-20 percent)||Eighteen different amino acids|
More from Mercola’s article on Spirulina…
- The proteins in spirulina are of a highly digestible type (83 to 90 percent digestible), due to the fact that it does not have cellulose walls, like yeast and chlorella do. Therefore, the net protein utilization (NPU) is high (between 53 and 61 percent) and requires no cooking to increase the bioavailability of its proteins.
- Studies confirm a very high “protein efficiency ratio” (PER) for spirulina, meaning your body will be able to efficiently use these amino acids.
- Gamma-linolenic acid is rarely this high in ANY food and normally has to be synthesized by your body from linoleic acid. GLA is a precursor to important biochemicals such as prostaglandins, leukotrienes, and thromboxanes, which serve as chemical mediators for inflammatory and immune reactions.
- Spirulina has no fatty acids with uneven carbon numbers and very low-level branched-chain fatty acids—two types of lipids that higher order animals, like you and me, cannot metabolize.
- Spirulina has about the same calcium, phosphorous, and magnesium content as milk, a vitamin E (tocopherol) level comparable to wheat germ, and four times as much vitamin B12 as raw liver!
What are the Health Benefits of Consuming Spirulina?
It is impossible for me to share ALL of the research and benefits of this tiny miracle superfood. Here are the highlights.
Spirulina aids in…
- Cancer prevention
- Enhanced immune function
- Cholesterol lowering
- Anti-inflammatory effects
- Weight Loss
- Muscle Recovery
- Muscle building
- Type 2 Diabetes
- Eye Health
- Pain relief
- Protection from radiation
- Protects against Neurodegenerative diseases such as Parkinson’s & Alzheimer’s
How to Take Spirulina
I put some of my favorite brands of Spirulina in my Amazon Store. You can also get an incredible quality Spirulina from Sunrider, which is one of my top choices.The dosage you choose to take depends on your personal needs. Here is an amazing Infographic from Naturalnews.com that has some great information and recommendations you can check out.
During the holidays, it is more common for our bodies to be bombarded with acidic foods, stressful situations, sick people, and a weakened immune system. Our bodies are INCREDIBLY strong, all they need are the right tools to keep it in tip top shape! Take advantage of this amazing God-given superhero food and get it in your body every day!
HAVE A BEAUTIFUL DAY!!!
“And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.”