I hope you’re having a B-E-A-UUUUTIFUL Day! I know I am! 🙂 Today I want to talk to you about Coconut Oil. Thrifty Thursday is a day when I like to talk about the things in life that will give you the biggest bang for your buck when it comes to living a healthy, full, vibrant life.
If you are a rookie to coconut oil, I can pretty much guarantee that you have not experienced it’s magical powers to the fullest. Honestly, one of the bummers of living overseas is that I can’t order coconut oil by the 5-gallon, because if I could, I so would! Its a HUGE savings! How in the world do I go through so much coconut oil? Well, my friend, let me tell you some of it’s amazing benefits…
- Weight Loss- WAIT! Weight Loss…with a saturated fat?? Yes sir/ma’am! Coconut oil’s medium-chain fatty acids have been proven to effectively speed up metabolism. A study reported medium-chain fatty acids to be three times more effective in raising metabolism than long-chain fatty acids, leading researchers to conclude that effective weight loss can be achieved by replacing long-chain fatty acids with medium- chain fatty acids. (http://www.naturalnews.com/026808_oil_coconut.html). These healthy fats also make you feel fuller faster, therefore suppressing appetite preventing overeating.
- Inside-out hair conditioner- The unique fatty acids in coconut oil have a small molecular structure and pass freely into the hair’s cell membrane, allowing for the oil to penetrate the hair’s roots; this literally brings out the deep conditioning from within compared to other conditioners that work from the outside in.
- Improves cholesterol levels- A study done on women between the ages of 20-40, showed increased HDL (good cholesterol) and lowered LDL (bad cholesterol).
- Lowers risk of heart disease & diabetes- This same women’s study showed that coconut oil shrank women’s waist circumference, lowered their BMI, lowered heart disease risk, and stabilized blood sugar levels quite effectively.
- Effective against Alzheimer’s Disease- Dr. Mary Newport gave her husband with dementia 1 tbs. coconut oil twice a day for a month and watched him almost completely recover. WOW!
- Antibacterial, antifungal, antiyeast, antiviral…
- Fights against cancer, HIV, and other viruses
- Improves bowel movements by lubricating the digestive tract
- Strengthens the liver
- Reduces inflammation
- Known as a teeth whitener by swishing around in mouth
Relief from dandruff.
Decreases osteoporosis and improves bone health- Research has found coconut oil to help prevent osteoporosis because it helps in the nutrient absorption of minerals such as calcium and magnesium – important minerals that fight osteoporosis.
Improves chronic fatigue- These medium chain fatty acids create energy instead of creating body fat, fighting both body fat & fatigue.
Skin Protector- Coconut oil acts as a natural sunscreen, protecting 20% of the sun’s UV rays, while nourishing the skin and protecting from free radical damage.
- Amazing for the thyroid
- Great for rashes & eczema
- Great for marriages 😉
Anti-aging moisturizer- It’s high antioxidant, antimicrobial, antibacterial, vitamin E, & caphrilic acid content have anti-aging effects on the skin & the body!
- Pneumonia Healer- In a study presented before The American College of Chest Physicians on October 29, 2008, coconut oil was found to offer pneumonia patients faster and more complete relief from symptoms.
- And substituting coconut oil for other unhealthy fats, especially when cooking can remove many carcinogenic & inflammatory oils and fats from the diet!
- Coconut oil is the BEST oil to cook with because it has a very high smoke point and the fats don’t go rancid. Even olive oil can easily become carcinogenic when using it to cook.
So, how do I use coconut oil on a day to day use?
- I wake up and swish around some coconut oil in my mouth- known as “oil pulling”
- I’ll put 1 tsp in my warm lemon water from time to time
- I put it in my green smoothie
- Then I’ll make my husband some over easy eggs with coconut oil
- During the summer, I use it on my skin while laying in the sun
- Take a shower- sometimes using it as a conditioner
- Use it as a moisturizer for face and body
- Use it in my cooking & baking
- Use it on my dry elbows & heels
- And when my husband is exhausted and every muscle hurts from his line of work, it makes the best massage oil with some essential oils added.
If you live in America, you’re in luck, because you can order coconut oil by the 1-gallon and 5-gallon! Both options are offered through my amazon store- http://astore.amazon.com/wwwjessicalop-20. If you’re overseas, you can do what I do, and order from iherb.com. If you’ve never used iherb.com, you can use my coupon code, XAV152 for up to $10 off your order!
WHAT YOU SHOULD KNOW ABOUT COCONUT OIL
When you’re buying coconut oil. There are some things you need to look for…
- Never buy refined coconut oil. Always buy extra virgin or virgin coconut oil.
- It is always preferred to buy organic
- Contact the manufacturers to make sure their plastic containers are BPA free because if not, the BPA can be extracted by the coconut oil and contaminate it.
So, have a blast with coconut oil! The nutrients and benefits you will get from 1 tbs. goes a VERY long ways, qualifying it for today’s “Thrifty Thursday” spotlight!
Have a great day!
“So do not fear, for I am with you;
do not be dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you and help you;
I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.”
– Isaiah 41:10