You heard me right…artificial sweeteners, marketed for their “weight loss” effects, are actually causing various dangerous physiological effects that may cause you to GAIN weight over time. The weight gain isn’t the worst part either! Below I have listed the top sweeteners and their potential side effects.
1. Aspartame (AminoSweet, Nutrasweet, Equal, Spoonful, Benevia, NatraTaste)
(In nearly ALL chewing gum, diet sodas, diet products, sugar-free juices, sugar-free candies, desserts)
- Neurotoxin. First, know that aspartame is able to cross the blood brain barrier which is designed to protect us from harmful substances- but not this sneaky little killer. Aspartame contains an amino acid called phenylalanine, which when isolated is a neurotoxin. An increase in this amino acid causes an influx into the brain where it is easily absorbed and over stimulates the brain cells and causes an increase in free radicals, ultimately causing holes in the brain. AKA…it KILLS OUR CELLS!! HELLOOO!!! When is our world going to wake up and realize that aspartame KILLS US?! It’s so sad how many of our loved ones don´t realize this and are daily damaging themselves. With our cultural pressures to fit into a size ¨zero¨, diet coke and sugar-free products are flying off the shelves and what’s scarier is how young this is starting. Here is a list of 92 official reported side effects of Aspartame.
- Cancer & Tumor Causing. Aspartame (L-Aspartyl-L-Phenylalanine Methyl Ester) is made up of two amino acids, aspartic acid and phenylalanine, and bound together with methanol (Methanol is Wood alcohol). The wood alcohol (methanol) is widely distributed throughout the body including brain, muscle, fat and nervous tissue. These break down to formaldehyde (used for embalming DEAD PEOPLE and known to cause cancer), formic acid (a venom in ant stings) and DKP (known to cause brain tumors). ”Drinking even one diet cola a day can cause formaldehyde buildup in cells, so that the amount of the toxin increases daily,” Dr. Blaylock writes in Health and Nutrition Secrets.
- Heart arrhythmia’s, damage, and death. Unfortunately, this is a personal issue for me, as my sweet grandmother was the victim of aspartame poisoning which caused her to have heart damage and now a permanent heart arrhythmia. This is nothing to mess around with or even consume every now and then. The slogan ¨Everything in moderation¨does NOT apply here. A group of doctors did an alarming study on the effects of aspartame on young athletes and they were troubled with the fact that aspartame has not been further studied in sudden death of young athletes, when it is obviously a cause for heart damage, arrhythmia’s, and in some cases death.
- Weight GAIN.– The main reason aspartame and artificial sweeteners sell so much is because the population is beginning to become aware that if they avoid sugar, they will lose weight. This is TRUE…when you cut out sugar. Period. BUT when you add in artificial sweeteners, they are actually proven to stimulate hunger causing you to consume even more calories and leave you less satisfied. They also have detrimental effects on your hormones, causing stubborn belly fat. Not to mention, aspartame damages the pancreas, leading to ineffective digestion, bloating, blood sugar irregularities, and possible diabetes.
2. Saccharin (Sweet n´Low; Sugar Twin)
Saccharin, was discovered in 1879 when Constantin Fahlberg, a Johns Hopkins University scientist working on coal-tar derivatives, noticed a substance on his hands and arms that tasted sweet. THAT is where Saccharin came from…need I say more?
- Cancer Causing. Specifically bladder cancer. All the tests done in the Saccharin saga have shown that this sweetener causes cancer in lab animals and most likely in humans as well. Here is a formal article about the carcinogenicity of Saccharin.
- Fatal to growing babies in the womb. Watch out preggo mamas! This sweetener (along with all of the others listed here) has been proven to be very dangerous to your developing baby.
- Weight Gain. Studies have shown that Saccharine & other artificial sweeteners lower the metabolism & body temperature causing difficulties burning calories & fat.
3. Splenda (sucralose, asculfame k)
How many times have we heard that Splenda is healthier and much better than the other artificial sweeteners because it comes from sugar? It is marketed as natural even by the FDA who supported sucralose in their press release stating, ¨…it is made from sugar.¨- an assertation disputed by the Sugar Association who is suing Splenda´s Manufacturer. The truth is that Sucralose was discovered in 1976 by scientists looking for a new PESTICIDE! It is made of a sucrose — except that three of the hydroxyl groups in the molecule have been replaced by three chlorine atoms. SO, this is Chlorinated Sugar…you might as well pour a bunch of sugar into a swimming pool and go drink it.
- More similar to a PESTICIDE than a sugar molecule. This is how it was discovered and independent researchers agree that the bonds holding the molecule together is a chlorocarbon, the same as pesticides, and not as similar to a salt or sugar like many believe. This carries with it all of the toxic and detrimental effects pesticides have on our bodies, including but not limited to disrupting our endocrine system (hormones, thyroid, adrenals, menstrual cycles), increasing risk of autism, birth defects, asthma, neurological defects, digestive disorders, cancer, tumors, and the list goes on and on…
- No Calories because it is NOT a food…it is a chemical. When it reaches the gut, and is broken down, our bodies do not recognize it as a food, so it does not absorb it in the small intestine to be eliminated. Thus, it can be recirculated throughout the body causing more problems systemically. It causes our liver to work extra hard in attempts to break it down and filter it out, and who knows what kind of damage it is doing on all of our other organs. Point being, it is not making us more healthy or strengthening our bodies to fight against disease, but burdening our systems with more chemicals.
- We are the guinea pigs in a trial run for Splenda/Sucralose. – The largest test done on Splenda was on a group of 128 people only lasting 3 months. What happens when one uses sucralose for 5-10-12 months?? Nobody knows… and now it is specifically marketed to elementary schools and kids! We are feeding this mysterious chemical to our kids when there is nothing but inconclusive studies on its safety.
- Officially Reported Side Effects: migraines (major migraine trigger), skin rashes/flushing, panic-like agitation, dizziness and numbness, diarrhea, swelling, muscle aches, headaches, intestinal cramping, bladder issues, and stomach pain.
4. High Fructose Corn Syrup
- OBESITY. This sweetener will give you a gut like no other! Princeton University research shows that rats fed a solution of water and half the amount of high fructose corn syrup present in a soda gained MUCH more weight than rats fed a solution of water and table sugar the full amount present in a soda. In the 40 years since the introduction of high-fructose corn syrup as a cost-effective sweetener in the American diet, rates of obesity in the U.S. have skyrocketed, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Metabolic Syndrome or syndrome X. In a long-term study, the rats who were fed high fructose corn syrup all alarmingly showed traits portraying metabolic syndrome that many Americans deal with in our society. ¨Symptoms including abnormal weight gain, significant increases in circulating triglycerides and augmented fat deposition, especially visceral fat around the belly. Male rats in particular ballooned in size: Animals with access to high-fructose corn syrup gained 48 percent more weight than those eating a normal diet. In humans, this would be equivalent to a 200-pound man gaining 96 pounds.¨
“Some people have claimed that high-fructose corn syrup is no different from other sweeteners when it comes to weight gain and obesity, but our results make it clear that this just isn’t true, at least under the conditions of our tests,” said psychology professor Bart Hoebel, who specializes in the neuroscience of appetite, weight and sugar addiction. “When rats are drinking high-fructose corn syrup at levels well below those in soda pop, they’re becoming obese — every single one, across the board. Even when rats are fed a high-fat diet, you don’t see this; they don’t all gain extra weight.”
- Genetically Modified! Corn is one of the top genetically modified foods. So, High Fructose Corn Syrup is in fact, one of the top genetically modified, highly processed toxic foods that is floating around everywhere. It is super cheap for food companies to use, so why would they want to lose more money on higher quality products right? Click HERE for more in-depth information on GMO (Genetically Modified Organism) foods and their harmful even deadly effects.
What Do I Use, Then?
STEVIA is my #1 choice of sweetener. It has zero calories, zero sugar, and is extremely beneficial to our bodies…IF you get a good source. The absolute best stevia on the market that I’ve found is the Sunrider stevia. My experiences with this stevia have been unreal!
What are the Benefits of High Quality Stevia?
- Naturally has 0 calories & 0 sugar
- Feeds the pancreas to stabilize blood sugar levels! This benefits diabetics as well as those struggling with hypoglycemia.
- Feeds the pancreas to optimally secrete digestive enzymes to improve digestion.
- Through promoting stabilized blood sugar levels, hormone balance is improved as well.
- Ideal for those struggling with candida or other yeast overgrowth in the body as it does not feed bad bacteria, but instead works to kill it with it’s anti-fungal & anti-parasitic properties!
- Acts as a general tonic to increase energy, vitality, and mental clarity.
- Has been shown to fight against cavities and tooth decay.
- Can be used on the skin to promote healing in a number of cases including cuts, scrapes, burns, pimples, boils, cancer spots, eczema, cold sores, and dermatitis.
- Naturally: anti-fungal, anti-bacterial, anti-parasitic, anti-yeast, anti-??? pretty much everything bad I have found.
- Has been shown to promote normalized blood pressure
Coconut or Palm Sugar is my second favorite and I use it mostly in cooking as stevia tends to lose it’s sweetness with cooking and baking. This type of sugar has a very low glycemic index so it doesn’t spike blood sugar levels very much when consumed, and it is filled with nutrients!
Non GMO Xylitol would be my third choice. I love that it has zero sugars, so it’s safe for diabetics, and when it comes from a good source (either corn or birch tree), it is a great alternative to use in baking. The only down side is that some people are more sensitive to xylitol and too much can cause gas or have a laxative effect.
Raw Honey is another great option! It has several benefits to our health.
There you have it! What are you putting in your tea today? What foods are you eating today? Be conscious about the foods going into your body. If you’re on a weight loss journey, your best bet is to experiment with these natural sweeteners and get off the junk. Get off white sugar and get off these toxic chemical sweeteners. You will be SO thankful you did!
Have a great Wednesday!
“A merry heart does good, like medicine, But a broken spirit dries the bones.”