- Do you struggle with heavy, painful periods?
- Do you struggle with PMS or PMR?
- Have you been diagnosed with PCOS, Endometriosis, Uterine Fibroids or Adenomyosis?
So, I constantly am asked questions on a wide variety of topics. Recently I was asked to read the ingredient list on a product that was marketed as being “all-natural”, hypoallergenic, and relatively “clean” as far as ingredients go. Immediately I called BS on the product when I read “butylparaben, methylparaben, & propylparaben”. First, it’s important you understand that our skin is our largest organ. WHAT YOU PUT ON YOUR SKIN IS IMMEDIATELY ABSORBED INTO YOUR BODY. Makes you think a little different about all of those skin products, huh?
What exactly are these weird sounding ingredients?
Parabens are a class of chemicals used as preservatives in a wide variety of skin products, supplements, and cosmetics. They can be found in shampoos, lotions, shaving cream, topical medications, spray tanning solution, makeup,and toothpaste. They can also be used as food additives.
What’s wrong with them?
Here’s where me and parabens don’t get along… These suckers mimic estrogen in the body, and in the worst way. These chemicals can be referred to as Xenoestrogens or “synthetic estrogens”. They are the bad types of estrogen’s that increase one’s risk for breast, prostate, or ovarian cancer. Ya..no bueno. There are millions of men walking around with way to much estrogen simply from the lotions, shaving cream, and soaps they are using. Those seducing manly soaps, sprays, lotions, & shaving creams that are supposed to make you more macho and drive the ladies crazy??? Sorry to break it to ya boys, but the majority of those are actually increasing your girly hormones. Awesome, right?
And Ladies…these are not the estrogen’s you want floating around your body. If you’re hoping to avoid being one of the 1 in 3 women diagnosed with breast cancer, it is IMPERATIVE that you eliminate these products from your daily routine. Want to hear something, crazy? A study published in the Journal of Toxicology in March 2012, showed paraben esters were present in 99% of women tested with breast cancer. Wowzas! That’s a MASSIVE number! Read more about the study & Dr. Mercola’s take on it by clicking here.
And for those of you wanting to shed the belly weight and extra fat on your body, getting rid of xenoestrogens is a must!
Xenoestrogens are fat soluble, and they must find a home. Where do they find it? They lodge in fatty tissues like the abdomen.
Now, think about our kids. Hundreds of thousands of kiddos are being slathered in parabens from day 1 of life. How do you think that’s going to impact them as they grow and mature? Poor kids already have a toxic food supply and other issues to deal with!
How does one avoid these ingredients, they are everyyywheeeeeeere!
True. True. They are everywhere, but lucky for us, there are some kick ass companies out there who are committed to doing their part to make this a safer, cleaner, healthier planet! When you’re weeding through your current collection of soaps, gels, lotions, creams, shaving creams, makeup, etc.. and you need to replace those items (because you will), my recommendation is to go into a Whole Foods, Sprouts, local health food store, OR to go shopping online. I LOVE www.iherb.com. (First time users of iherb, who use this specific link will get $5-$10 off your first order!) You can get pretty much anything from this website and with free shipping, which is amazing! Shop around their cosmetics section and read the ingredients. Look for the “NO PARABENS” label. If a company is proud of their clean product, they’re going to let you know by having a list of “No’s”.
Ok, so I cleaned the parabens out of my house, how do I get them out of my body after being exposed?
Great question! I’m so glad you asked! Here are 4 tips to get you on your way!
1. JUICE- For those of you who are juicers, the combo of celery & beets are awesome to flush out the “bad estrogens” in the body. Any green juices are going to help you naturally detox toxins.
2. EXERCISE- Exercising, especially performing exercises that stimulate your lymphatic system such as rebounding, running, or jumping, are very effective for helping the body get rid of those nasty parabens. Aim for at least 20 minutes per day. You can do that, I know you can!
3. LOVE YOUR LIVER- Our liver is incredible. Unfortunately, though, it gets clogged up rather quickly with the world we live in. Our liver is a major detox organ, so giving it some TLC will really help your body eliminate unwanted toxins. Here are some easy ways to love on your liver:
4. CRAM THE CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES- Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, kale, cabbage, collard greens, & brussels sprouts contain specific components that help the body eliminate xenoestrogens such as parabens. Two of these compounds are called Indole-3-Carbinol (I-3-C) & Diindolylmethane (DIM). There are numerous studies on this powerful duo when it comes to anti-cancer properties and flushing xenoestrogens out of the body. Ask google, you’ll see! 😉
So, how are you feeling about this whole thing? Overwhelmed? Relieved? Pumped up? Pumped down? I know it can be a bit much hearing about all the crazy things that seem to be out to get you in our world today, but the awesome part is that there is always something we can do to move in the right direction! Get excited instead of overwhelmed! We’re getting healthier together, becoming more aware, setting up future generations for success! It’s going to take effort and determination, but everything worth anything does, right?! I promise you it’s worth it to take these simple steps now instead of waiting until you’re in a sense of panic because of an abnormal test result. Ain’t nobody got time for that whole sickness stuff, right? Right!
RN & Health Coach
People like “stuff”. We tend to hold onto more of it year after year. We save and stock up on many useless items that we don’t even know what to do with. Maybe we keep things because they hold precious memories of days gone by, or they remind us of our parents, grandparents, past loves or childhood. To part with these precious possessions may seem painful or even out of the question to some. There is a saying that goes, “You have to get rid of the old to make way for the new.” If you are feeling stuck or stagnant in your life, try some spring-cleaning. Throw out some of that old “stuff”, say goodbye to your nuances of the past and welcome the new energy of your happy, healthy future. Try these four ideas:
1. For good mental and physical health, we actually have two “houses” that need to be spring-cleaned: our physical homes and our physical bodies. Just as we accumulate “stuff” in the form of outgrown clothes, magazines, rusty bicycles, tools and random keepsakes, so do our bodies accumulate old food residues and toxins that need to be cleaned out.
2. To spring clean your body, give it a break from rich and complicated foods by either cleansing or fasting for a short period of time. Cleansing means paring down your food to just simple fruits and vegetables, lots of water and perhaps gluten-free whole grains. Fasting means limiting most foods and drinking lots of water, fresh vegetable and fruit juices, teas and soups. Without much energy going toward digestion, more energy is available to the rest of your body and mind. Cleansing and fasting can sharpen your concentration, help you gain insight and promote spiritual awareness. It can also bring improved immune function and better digestion.
3. While you’re cleaning out your body and home, don’t forget to spring-clean your heart. Throw away negative thoughts and habits you’ve been harboring that no longer serve you. A clean, open heart will allow you to receive all the good that awaits you each and every day. If your heart and mind are cluttered, there is no room for life’s gifts and surprises to enter.
4. Sunrider foods are the perfect solution to nourishing, balancing, and CLEANSING the body safely and effectively. Calli tea & Fortune Delight pulls stored toxins out of our tissues and acts as a scrubber at the cellular level to get the junk out and make room for new healthy cells to be produced. Out with the old and in with the new! Contact me for more information on how to get started! (firstname.lastname@example.org )
Leafy greens are some of the easiest and most beneficial vegetables to incorporate into your daily routine. Densely packed with energy and nutrients, they grow upward to the sky, absorbing the sun’s light while producing oxygen. Members of this royal green family include kale, collard greens, Swiss chard, mustard greens, arugula, dandelion greens, broccoli rabe, watercress, beet greens, bok choy, napa cabbage, green cabbage, spinach and broccoli.
How do greens benefit our bodies? They are very high in calcium, magnesium, iron, potassium, phosphorous and zinc, and are a powerhouse for vitamins A, C, E and K. They are crammed full of fiber, folic acid, chlorophyll and many other micronutrients and phytochemicals. Their color is associated with spring, which is a time to renew and refresh vital energy. In traditional Chinese medicine, the color green is related to the liver, emotional stability, and creativity. Greens aid in purifying the blood, strengthening the immune system, improving liver, gall bladder, and kidney function, fighting depression, clearing congestion, improving circulation and keeping your skin clear and blemish free.
Leafy greens are the vegetables most missing from the American diet, and many of us never learned how to prepare them. Start with the very simple recipe below. Then each time you go to the market, pick up a new green to try. Soon you’ll find your favorite greens and wonder how you ever lived without them.
Shiitake and Kale
Prep Time: 2 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
1/2 pound shiitake mushrooms
1 tablespoon coconut oil
1-2 cloves crushed garlic
1 bunch kale, chopped
pinch of salt
1. Warm oil in pan on medium heat with minced garlic until aromas of garlic are released, about 2-3 minutes.
2. Add chopped shiitake mushrooms, stir-fry for 5 minutes.
Add chopped kale, stir-fry for a couple of minutes.
Add a splash of water and pinch of salt to pan, cover and let steam for 4 minutes.
Kale, Lemon, apple Green Smoothie
2 leaves kale
1 lemon peel removed
1-2 cups water or cold calli tea
Stevia to sweeten
Blend all ingredients and enjoy!
In Health, Hope, & Happiness,
Jessica Aubrey, RN
I wanted to introduce you all to one of my favorite soup recipes that is delicious and super healing for the body. I make a big pot of it and eat it throughout the week. You can also freeze it and take it out in smaller portions when your ready to eat it.
Below I have listed the benefits of this soup and the ingredients in it. If you are wanting to do a cleanse or reset for the body, you can eat this soup all day for a day or two..or three…however long you want really. It will help to cleanse out toxins, fill your body with important vitamins and nutrients and give your system a break from all of the difficult things we make it digest. I know it might sound weird to eat soup for breakfast, but it is actually a great idea! Our bodies tend to be most dehydrated in the mornings after sleeping, so extra fluids will help hydrate the body. This soup is filled with high quality protein, fatty acids, and complex carbohydrates to give you an energy boost and keep you full and your blood sugar stable to prevent crashes later in the day. As you will read below, each ingredient in this soup is healing and has potent anti-cancer & anti-disease properties. I hope you enjoy healing & protecting your body one bite at a time with this delicious soup!
*DISCLAIMER: Please understand I am not stating that this soup should be used to treat or cure any cancer or disease. I am simply stating that it has incredible properties to feed the body to do what it was created to do.*
**For OPTIMAL results and nutrition, use all organic produce and ingredients**
- Place all ingredients except salt, pepper, and avocado in a large pot and fill with water about 1 inch above the ingredients. Cover with lid
- Bring to boil for about 15 minutes, then reduce heat and let simmer over medium low for an hour and a half. It will be ready to eat by then, but the longer you let it simmer the better it gets (I usually make this in the morning and we eat it for dinner).
- Add salt and pepper to taste. I use about 1 tsp of Himalayan sea salt.
- Garnish with avocado slices. Serve with Gluten-free bread or crackers.
- Store leftovers in the fridge and eat it throughout the week or store in glass containers in the freezer.
Learn more about these incredible nutrients on this resourceful site- Www.whfoods.com
I hope you enjoyed today’s recipe! Leave me a comment and let me know what you think!
In Health, Happiness, & Hope,
Never stop praying. Be thankful in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you who belong to Christ Jesus.
~ 1 Thessalonians 5:17-18
I hope you all had an amazing time celebrating Jesus’ birthday with your friends and family! I know Christmas is usually the day many people splurge and eat way more than they should resulting in a super bloated abdomen, fatigue, headaches, and possibly more symptoms… not to mention 5 extra pounds on your body.
It’s interesting that just 6 days after this massive feast is when people get crazy motivated to lose weight and live a healthy lifestyle. What I’m thinking is…why wait? Why not start now and get a jump start on the new year?
So, I am proposing to you…yes proposing to you…a post-Christmas cleanse! =) You can choose to do this for 1 day or 1 week, whatever you feel like. This gentle cleanse will help you feel more energetic and move out the gunk that has been built up over the holidays.
There you have it! It’s not too bad, right? 🙂 The goal of this cleanse is to rejuvenate your body at a fast rate and get rid of any junk that may have accumulated over the holidays. Let me know what you think and how you feel doing your Post-Christmas Cleanse!!!
Get all the advice and instruction you can, so you will be wise the rest of your life. ~ Proverbs 19:20
P.S…GROUP 2 OF “THE EMPOWERED WOMAN” IS STARTING MID JANUARY!!! DON’T MISS OUT ON THIS ONE OF A KIND LIFE-CHANGING JOURNEY TO HEAL YOUR BODY, MIND, & SOUL!
For more information, click on the link above or email me at Jessica@JessicaLopezRN.com.