So, I constantly am asked questions on a wide variety of topics. Recently I was asked to read the ingredient list on a product that was marketed as being “all-natural”, hypoallergenic, and relatively “clean” as far as ingredients go. Immediately I called BS on the product when I read “butylparaben, methylparaben, & propylparaben”. First, it’s important you understand that our skin is our largest organ. WHAT YOU PUT ON YOUR SKIN IS IMMEDIATELY ABSORBED INTO YOUR BODY. Makes you think a little different about all of those skin products, huh?
What exactly are these weird sounding ingredients?
Parabens are a class of chemicals used as preservatives in a wide variety of skin products, supplements, and cosmetics. They can be found in shampoos, lotions, shaving cream, topical medications, spray tanning solution, makeup,and toothpaste. They can also be used as food additives.
What’s wrong with them?
Here’s where me and parabens don’t get along… These suckers mimic estrogen in the body, and in the worst way. These chemicals can be referred to as Xenoestrogens or “synthetic estrogens”. They are the bad types of estrogen’s that increase one’s risk for breast, prostate, or ovarian cancer. Ya..no bueno. There are millions of men walking around with way to much estrogen simply from the lotions, shaving cream, and soaps they are using. Those seducing manly soaps, sprays, lotions, & shaving creams that are supposed to make you more macho and drive the ladies crazy??? Sorry to break it to ya boys, but the majority of those are actually increasing your girly hormones. Awesome, right?
And Ladies…these are not the estrogen’s you want floating around your body. If you’re hoping to avoid being one of the 1 in 3 women diagnosed with breast cancer, it is IMPERATIVE that you eliminate these products from your daily routine. Want to hear something, crazy? A study published in the Journal of Toxicology in March 2012, showed paraben esters were present in 99% of women tested with breast cancer. Wowzas! That’s a MASSIVE number! Read more about the study & Dr. Mercola’s take on it by clicking here.
And for those of you wanting to shed the belly weight and extra fat on your body, getting rid of xenoestrogens is a must!
Xenoestrogens are fat soluble, and they must find a home. Where do they find it? They lodge in fatty tissues like the abdomen.
- Xeno means foreign.
- Xenoestrogens mimic natural estrogen.
- Xenoestrogens deposit in fatty tissues like the abdomen.
Now, think about our kids. Hundreds of thousands of kiddos are being slathered in parabens from day 1 of life. How do you think that’s going to impact them as they grow and mature? Poor kids already have a toxic food supply and other issues to deal with!
How does one avoid these ingredients, they are everyyywheeeeeeere!
True. True. They are everywhere, but lucky for us, there are some kick ass companies out there who are committed to doing their part to make this a safer, cleaner, healthier planet! When you’re weeding through your current collection of soaps, gels, lotions, creams, shaving creams, makeup, etc.. and you need to replace those items (because you will), my recommendation is to go into a Whole Foods, Sprouts, local health food store, OR to go shopping online. I LOVE www.iherb.com. (First time users of iherb, who use this specific link will get $5-$10 off your first order!) You can get pretty much anything from this website and with free shipping, which is amazing! Shop around their cosmetics section and read the ingredients. Look for the “NO PARABENS” label. If a company is proud of their clean product, they’re going to let you know by having a list of “No’s”.
Ok, so I cleaned the parabens out of my house, how do I get them out of my body after being exposed?
Great question! I’m so glad you asked! Here are 4 tips to get you on your way!
1. JUICE- For those of you who are juicers, the combo of celery & beets are awesome to flush out the “bad estrogens” in the body. Any green juices are going to help you naturally detox toxins.
2. EXERCISE- Exercising, especially performing exercises that stimulate your lymphatic system such as rebounding, running, or jumping, are very effective for helping the body get rid of those nasty parabens. Aim for at least 20 minutes per day. You can do that, I know you can!
3. LOVE YOUR LIVER- Our liver is incredible. Unfortunately, though, it gets clogged up rather quickly with the world we live in. Our liver is a major detox organ, so giving it some TLC will really help your body eliminate unwanted toxins. Here are some easy ways to love on your liver:
- Drink lemon water
- Sunrider’s Calli tea
- Herbal teas or supplements made of Dandylion and/or milk thistle
4. CRAM THE CRUCIFEROUS VEGGIES- Cruciferous vegetables such as broccoli, kale, cabbage, collard greens, & brussels sprouts contain specific components that help the body eliminate xenoestrogens such as parabens. Two of these compounds are called Indole-3-Carbinol (I-3-C) & Diindolylmethane (DIM). There are numerous studies on this powerful duo when it comes to anti-cancer properties and flushing xenoestrogens out of the body. Ask google, you’ll see! 😉
So, how are you feeling about this whole thing? Overwhelmed? Relieved? Pumped up? Pumped down? I know it can be a bit much hearing about all the crazy things that seem to be out to get you in our world today, but the awesome part is that there is always something we can do to move in the right direction! Get excited instead of overwhelmed! We’re getting healthier together, becoming more aware, setting up future generations for success! It’s going to take effort and determination, but everything worth anything does, right?! I promise you it’s worth it to take these simple steps now instead of waiting until you’re in a sense of panic because of an abnormal test result. Ain’t nobody got time for that whole sickness stuff, right? Right!
RN & Health Coach